To support National Smile Month from the 14th May 2018, Queensway wants to remind adults that the maintenance of their mouths is just as important, if not more crucial, as they get older.
Here we give you some advice on caring for your smile;
Choosing the right dentist
Whether you are looking for a new dentist or are in need of more specialist dental care, finding the right dentist is vitally important, but how do you know where to begin?
Qualification and expertise – Do your research. Websites such as the GDC (General Dental Council) can give information on individual dentists, their qualifications and their specialism. You can also find more information about the qualifications and credibility of the team through their practice website.
- Trust – Do meet the team. It’s hugely important to feel happy and comfortable with your dentist. Visit the practice, speak to the team, and find out everything you need to know to help you make the best choice about your dental care.
- Word of mouth – Do ask around. You would read the reviews when booking a hotel or trust a friend’s recommendation when going out to dinner, so why should choosing a dentist be any different? Look at their online reviews, ask around, and find out about the experience of others.
When you do find the one, how often should you visit?
For routine check-ups you should visit as often as your dentist recommends, for many people this is between every 6 to 12 months, however for more specialist treatments or problems this might be more frequently. Either way, it’s important to maintain your oral health between visits to keep your teeth and gums healthy, and prevent any problems in the future!
- Brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day using a fluoride toothpaste, cleaning in between the teeth regularly with interdental brushes or floss.
- Visit the dentist regularly, as often as they recommend.
- Take diet into consideration – reduce how often you eat sugary foods and drink fizzy drinks.
National Smile Month is organised and run by the Oral Health Foundation, a leading national charity working to improve oral health. The aim being to improve people’s lives by reducing the harm caused by oral diseases – many of which are entirely preventable. As part of National Smile month Queensway are offering all new patients that book a free consultation between the 14th May – 14th June a chance to win a Philips diamond care electric toothbrush and an air polish!